Building Advisory Capabilities in Accounting Firms
There is no doubt accounting firms are under pressure for both fees and service delivery. This can be considered disruption. There are a few reasons for this pressure and it will only intensify. Here are some reasons:
- Businesses are questioning the amount of fees they pay annually for compliance services against the perceived value they receive from these services.
- Accounting firms are facing a technology tidal wave that will shift much of the compliance work to ‘bots’ that deliver higher accuracy and cost a fraction of a qualified accountant.
- The complex operating environment facing companies is encouraging them to seek outside expertise to remain competitive and sustainable; unfortunately they rarely look at their accountants to provide such services.
These disruptive changes are compelling proactive firms to focus on developing other capabilities to maintain and grow revenue. The most common focus is on building revenue from advisory services. One would normally think accounting firms are well positioned to delivery advisory services. They may be well positioned, but many lack the competencies needed to uncover opportunities, scope advisory projects and execute the delivery phase for a successful result.
Building a firm’s advisory capability without increasing the headcount.
We were engaged to help a firm build an advisory capability without increasing the headcount. Our project including a number of phases that included strategic planning, business model development, behavioural competency assessment, training and coaching. Our process included a small digital transformation with the inclusion of work to improve use of the incumbent information management system, CRM and the introduction of a learning management system (LMS).
Key outcomes achieved with LMS
We implemented a learning management system to support our transition strategy as well as sustain competency development across the firm. Below are some of the key outcomes we have achieved thus far with the LMS.
- Communities of practice to foster sharing of ideas, best practices and content.
- Learning linked to performance reviews and career planning.
- Tracking learning and participation in communities of practice.
- Self-publishing content using standard tools like PowerPoint, Sway, audio and video.
- Team publishing by practice teams to share with teams in other locations and colleagues.
Our ongoing strategic focus for the LMS includes:
- Eliminate knowledge drain.
- Replicate the learning across the organisation at lower cost.
- Develop individual learning pathways for advisors based on subject matter expertise and market sector focus.
Personal Growth Mapping can be an essential strategy to elevate your team leadership capabilities. Personal Growth Mapping is a continuous journey of self-improvement. By committing to growth mapping your team leadership skills, you not only enhance your own capabilities but also inspire and uplift your entire team. To help you get started, WorkPlan offers a set of 11 growth mapping surveys covering all aspects of team leadership absolutely free.
These six strategies are a great start to being an effective Sales Team Manager. You can get started by creating an action plan to put these strategies into action.
WorkPlan has an extensive catalogue of online Sales Training modules to help you develop as a sales professional. Our Sales Leadership and Management Program is comprehensive and includes 12 learning modules.
How prepared is your team to turn learning into action in 2024?
Discover how WorkPlan Learning can be your secret weapon in harnessing the power of rapid learning and action in your organisation.
Are you ready to take your business to another level?
Contact us today
1300 726 708
+61 7 3220 2229
+61 3 9752 5651
In the spirit of reconciliation WorkPlan acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.